Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness - State of LouisianaSince 1990, the Governor’s Office of Homeland Security & Emgergency Preparedness has coordinated several hundred State Disaster Declarations authorized under the Governor's signature. The GOHSEP staff is poised and ready to serve the people of Louisiana at a moment’s notice.
Disaster Recovery Division - Government

Public Assistance Grant Program
The objective of the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Public Assistance (PA) Grant Program is to provide assistance to State, Tribal and local governments, and certain types of Private Nonprofit organizations so that communities can quickly respond to and recover from major disasters or emergencies declared by the President.

Through the PA Program, FEMA provides supplemental Federal disaster grant assistance for debris removal, emergency protective measures, and the repair, replacement, or restoration of disaster-damaged, publicly owned facilities and the facilities of certain Private Non-Profit (PNP) organizations. The PA Program also encourages protection of these damaged facilities from future events by providing assistance for hazard mitigation measures during the recovery process.

The Federal share of assistance is no less than 75% of the eligible cost for emergency measures and permanent restoration.

For more information please go to FEMA’s Public Assistance Grant Program website.

Helpful Links on FEMA’s Public Assistance Program
Public Assistance Applicant Handbook (FEMA P-323 / March 2010)
FEMA Public Assistance Grant Program
Public Assistance Word Document

How to File an Application for the Public Assistance Program
To file an applicant for FEMA’s Public Assistance Grant Program visit GOHSEP’s webpage and fill out the Request For Public Assistance and the Designation of Applicant's Agent forms. Once you have completed your application mail it to GOHSEP’s Disaster Recovery Division, 1500 Main Street, Baton Rouge, LA 70806, or fax it to (225)267-2832. is the online application and management tool of the Public Assistance (PA) grant in Louisiana. It manages the PA grant process from application through closeout.
Disaster Recovery Infrastructure Programs
For information on other grant programs offered to municipalities and parish governments visit the Infrastructure Programs webpage for the Louisiana Office of Community Development (OCD), Disaster Recovery Unit.

Disaster Recovery State-Implemented Programs
To see State-Implemented Programs offered to municipalities and parish governments visit the State-Implemented Programs webpage for the Louisiana Office of Community Development (OCD), Disaster Recovery Unit.

Tax Relief in Disaster Situations
Special tax law provisions may help businesses recover financially from the impact of a disaster, especially when the federal government declares their location to be a major disaster area. Depending on the circumstances, the IRS may grant additional time to file returns and pay taxes. Businesses in a federally declared disaster area can get a faster refund by claiming losses related to the disaster on the tax return for the previous year, usually by filing an amended return.

If you have damaged or lost property in a location declared by the President as a major disaster area, you may be able to get some money back from the IRS right now. Learn more by reviewing Tax Relief in Disaster Situations.

For more information visit the Disaster Assistance and Emergency Relief webpage of the IRS.

Small Business Administration
If you are in a declared disaster area and are the victim of a disaster, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the U.S. SBA. As a homeowner, renter and/or personal-property owner, you may apply to the SBA for a loan to help you recover from a disaster. Renters and homeowners alike may borrow up to $40,000 to repair or replace clothing, furniture, cars, appliances, etc. damaged or destroyed in the disaster. Homeowners may apply for up to $200,000 to repair or replace their primary residence to its pre-disaster condition. The loans may not be used to upgrade homes or make additions unless as required by local building authority/code. Loans may be increased up to 20 percent of the total amount of disaster damage to real estate, as verified by the SBA, to make improvements that lessen the risk of property damage by future disasters of the same kind.

Secondary homes or vacation properties are not eligible for these loans. However, qualified rental properties may be eligible for assistance under the business loan program.

Any proceeds from insurance coverage on your property or home will be deducted from the total damage to the property to determine the loan amount you are eligible for. The SBA is not permitted to duplicate any benefits.

You can review the SBA Disaster Loan Fact Sheet for Homeowners and Renters or visit the SBA Home and Personal Property Disaster Loan Webpage for more information.

The SBA now offers you the option of filing your home disaster loan application electronically. For additional information, please contact our Customer Service Center. Call 1-800-659-2955 (TTY: 1-800-877-8339) or e-mail
How much can I borrow?
The amount SBA will lend depends on the cost of repairing or replacing your home and/or personal property, minus any insurance settlements or grants. SBA will send an inspector to estimate the cost of your damage once you have completed and returned your loan application.

Can the SBA refinance my mortgage?
In some cases, SBA can refinance all or part of a previous mortgage when the applicant does not have credit available elsewhere, has suffered substantial disaster damage not covered by insurance, and intends to repair the damage. SBA considers refinancing when processing each application.

How soon before I know I have been approved?
The SBA disaster assistance program helps with long-term, low-interest rebuilding and repair of damaged property, unlike immediate emergency relief provided by relief organizations. To make a loan, we must know the repair cost, be assured that you can repay the loan, and take reasonable safeguards to make sure the loan is repaid. The sooner you return the completed loan application, the sooner SBA can process the application. SBA tries to make a decision on each application within 14 days. Make sure the application is complete, since missing information is a major cause for delays.

What information must I submit for a home and/or personal property loan?
You must submit the completed loan application and a signed and dated IRS form 8821 giving permission for the IRS to provide SBA your tax return information.

Is collateral required for these loans?
Loans over $14,000 must be secured to the extent possible. The SBA will not decline a loan if you do not have enough collateral, but will ask for whatever collateral is available. That usually consists of a first or second mortgage on the damaged real estate.

Should I wait for my insurance settlement before I file my loan application?
No, do not miss the filing deadline by waiting for an insurance settlement. Final insurance information can be added after a settlement is made. SBA can approve a loan for the total replacement cost up to our lending limits. Once your insurance settles, if there is a duplication of benefits, we will apply those funds to the balance of your disaster loan.

I'm a farmer, and my barns, fence, and some of my crops were damaged, as well as my home. Can I apply to SBA for assistance?
You may apply for an SBA disaster loan to cover the damage to your home and its contents only. SBA cannot cover agriculture losses. Contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture for recovery assistance for your farm at
You can file your application through the Electronic Loan Application (ELA).

Required Information for the ELA Process
  • It is recommended that you have the following information available when completing the online application:
Home Applications
  • Contact information for all applicants (current and alternate telephone numbers).
  • Identity information for all applicants (social security numbers / FEMA registration number).
  • Deed or lease information, if available.
  • Insurance information – if applicable, the name address, and policy number of any insurance carrier liable for the loss.
  • Financial information (income, creditors’ names, monthly payments, balances).
You can email your application to:
You can contact the SBA Customer Service Center at 1-800-659-2955 (TTY: 1-800-877-8339).

Community Recovery Resource Guide

The Community Recovery Resource Guide contains Louisiana-specific information to help parishes locate funding sources and other available resources for local projects and initiatives. Communities can seek funding possibilities through this searchable guide which profiles nearly 900 recovery assistance programs identified by sector, which include agriculture & environment, economic & workforce development, education, floodplain management, historic & cultural resources, housing & community development, human services & public health, infrastructure & transportation, and public safety. It also includes grant writing guidance, planning manuals, case studies and examples of how governments can create recovery-related staff positions.